A special check presentation took place on February 7 at the Los Angeles Police Department’s North Hollywood Station, where the $7,000 in proceeds from the Toluca Lake Homeowners Association’s sixth annual Turkey Trot was donated to the East Valley Police Activity League Supporters (PALS).
East Valley PALS is a nonprofit booster organization providing financial support for the men and women for the North Hollywood Division of the LAPD. It often comes as a surprise to the average Angeleno how difficult it is for the city to pay for some essential equipment, training and special events; PALS attempts to bridge that gap. They also encourage, support and sustain LAPD-sponsored youth programs within the Division, with an emphasis on the Cadet and Jeopardy programs. A small sampling of the work PALS has done for the North Hollywood LAPD includes:
- Purchased paint to repaint some of the rooms at the North Hollywood LAPD
- Sponsored the range fees for all officers as part of their annual testing
- Sponsored the Narcotic Team to attend a seminar on best practices for detecting and dealing with the growing problem of meth labs in the area
- Provided funding for new mattresses for the COT Room
- Rewarded deserving six Jeopardy students who have improved on their school performance with a trip to the Hollywood Hayride at Griffith Park
- Provided meals for 50 officers assigned to mandatory training for arrest and control
- Provided a Z-Ram bar to help breach fortified doors and make quick work of entry for the Special Problems Unit
- Provided a GPS tracker for automobiles to help track vehicles under surveillance
- Provided a GPS tracker for bicycles (bike thefts are one of the most common property crimes in the East Valley)
Of particular importance to the communities of North Hollywood and Toluca Lake, East Valley PALS participates in, supports and strengthens community policing, serving as a communication conduit between the public and the LAPD. The Toluca Lake Neighborhood Watch relies heavily on this program.
The LAPD’s North Hollywood Division has always been there to support and protect Toluca Lake, so this was a great opportunity to give back! For more information about East Valley PALS, visit www.NoHoPALS.com.