One of the hallmark features of Full O’ Life is its all-organic restaurant and café, which serves up healthy, from-scratch comfort food and fresh-blended juices and smoothies daily. “It truly makes our market a one-stop shop,” says general manager Cindy Moon. “People can grab food and then shop our market when they’re done eating.”
A rotating specials menu usually has lunchtime diners packing the ’50s-style lunch counter and indoor and outdoor seating areas. Delicious entrees like fresh spinach lasagna and grilled Cajun chicken are just some of the meals cooked in-house with the same natural ingredients found in the market. “We’ve got something for everyone, and that’s what keeps people coming back.” Cindy says.
A signature item is the Sunshine Salad, a medley of lush greens that’s perfect for spring. We were lucky enough to score the recipe for the salad mixture, along with the restaurant’s popular lemon-mustard dressing. Pick up the organic ingredients at Full O’ Life and toss up this salad at your next picnic or gathering.
¼ red cabbage, chopped
½ large cauliflower, chopped
1 bunch celery (hearts only), chopped
2 bunches green onions, chopped
3 bunches fresh parsley, chopped
2 ½ bunches watercress, chopped
1 ½ pounds fresh spinach, chopped
Toppings, to taste: sliced mushrooms, shredded zucchini, sliced avocado, sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers and sesame seeds
- Combine cabbage, cauliflower, celery, green onions, parsley, watercress and spinach in a large bowl.
- Toss with lemon-mustard dressing (see below).
- If desired, add a protein of choice, like grilled salmon, tofu or chicken breast.
- When serving, top each portion with selected protein and mushrooms, zucchini, avocado, tomatoes and cucumbers. Finish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Yield: About 2½ cups
1 cup olive oil
1 cup sunflower oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons parsley flakes
⅛ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh garlic
- Combine ingredients in a blender, blend at high speed for 5 minutes until fully emulsified. Serve over salad.
- Store remaining dressing in the refrigerator.
Check out “Full O’ Life’s Legacy of Green Eating” to learn more about the market and restaurant’s long tradition of bringing organic foods to the community.